Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder (1927)

I asked myself; what happened between 1915 and 1920 to cause writing to change, and people to change soo much? Oh yes, the 1st World War. THAT War set the stage for where we are to this day.

And so again I learn that I don't like the works that were developed after that shameful time.

I was drawn to this 1st edition copy by the illustrations and the name.




I read it as a filler between longer books. It is a sad book. It has several revelations regarding human nature that are painful, but mostly it is a sad story.

Receiving huge critical acclaim in its day, the world was ready for this and other authors, in some ways it is a terrible book. I don't need sadness anymore.

I see the baggage that we carry with us regarding the people we are closest to. This baggage can make us keep them at arms length or further. This baggage is made up of the bad experiences and is only tempered by the good ones, otherwise they would not be baggage and the relationship would not be tainted.

So when your brother drinks himself to death, a brother who was once your best friend in the world but had become a massive piece of baggage to the point of wishing he were dead you are left with which parts to remember.

This book requires a second reading, I don't think I will get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment