Friday, December 11, 2020

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (1908) Illu John Worsley

 A fun story, with the characters well described and individual. It is a story for immersion 

I needed something not so grim or serious so decided to take the plunge into children's favorite

It was nice to move into the their world and forget lock-down living

The endless annoyance of Toad!

Ratty and Mole however become good friends 

As a boater myself: “There’s nothing––absolutely nothing––half so much worth doing as messing about in boats.”

Ratty enjoys the water and teaches Mole about the experience

With an understanding of the lives of the wealthy I have a view of where this story comes from.

Toad is an indulgent trust-fund baby, educated yet uncontrolled.

Having known a couple of such animals I was not humored by his antics.

 When the Wild Wood animals take over Toad Hall while Toad is in jail we see a shocking comparison to our present condition in the White House where the wild animals of fascism are bent on maintaining control over something they do not own

I think this may be one of the most Illustrated tales ever; this one is not to my liking but there are so many versions out there I think you could find one that suits your minds eye with ease

This copy is from 1982

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment